Tuesday, August 15, 2017

RPGaDAY 2017 #15

From the #RPGaDAY2017 challenge (info here):

[as I'm starting this thing a little late, I shall be doubling up on my daily posts until I catch up. Early posts will be post-dated to the date they were originally supposed to appear]

Which RPG do you enjoy adapting the most?

All right, there's no going off-book with such an easy question. B/X. Hands down. The easiest, most readily adaptable system I've come across...at least as far as fantasy adventure gaming is concerned. I've used it to model space Vikings and Dark Sun-style gladiators and horror hunters and faerie wars and Shadowrun and and Star Wars and 40K-style chaos war bands and subaquatic science-horror.

Easy-shmeezy.

And I'm sure there are plenty more uses for the B/X chassis. I know lots of people have used it to kit-bash systems for their favorite settings...folks much smarter and more creative than myself.

It's not ENDLESSLY adaptable, of course. It's not the best system for investigative/mystery-style role-playing (that would be something like GUMSHOE). And it doesn't really do light-hearted stuff or romance (probably RISUS is an easier fit). Vehicle-stuff is pretty tough to write, except in the most superficial manner (so settings that FEATURE a lot of in-vehicle action is difficult with B/X). And, no, there's not a whole lot of character development that occurs in B/X-style play, save for the kind that occurs from recording the experiences of you character over time (in your memory, if not necessarily on your character sheet).

But even so: I love it. I enjoy fantasy adventure gaming. That particular brand of escapism is my cup o tea. And the B/X edition of D&D is the system I enjoy adapting more than any other.

[folks interested in my Day 6 post, should check out this link; nearly caught up!]

No comments:

Post a Comment